"We have been using RomaxDesigner software in all our new product development since 1997 as, together with Romax's engineering services, it helps us to speed up our development times and enables us to make improvements in areas such as NVH."
Mr. J. J. Kim
Senior Vice President
Hyundai Powertrain RD
Learn more about all of our products by downloading our two page product overview flyers.View our product sheets
Our case studies illustrate how we help our customers and partners to embrace innovation and drive growth.View our case studies
Sign up to the mailing list
Keep up to date with the latest product and industry news from Romax Technology.
Thank you.Thank you for signing up to receive Romax's marketing emails.
John Alexander Rowley
Digital Marketing Executive
RomaxDESIGNER is the product of choice for ground vehicle transmissions - from motorcycles to off-highway equipment - and is licensed by 14 of the world's top 15 automakers.
It is also used widely in the design of stationary products and industrial equipment including the world's largest wind turbine systems and is acknowledged as the industry standard for this rapidly expanding global market sector.
Offering seamless integration with all major CAD applications, Multibody Dynamic Analysis (MBD) applications and gear design applications and CONCEPT, RomaxDESIGNER is the ultimate solution for any gearbox, transmission and driveline design uses from planning to manufacturing.
The core of a seamlessly integrated tool chain:
- Imports and exports geometry from all major CAD applications
- Imports gear details from packaged and in-house gear design applications
- Intelligently creates and exports optimized models for MBD Analysis
- Seamless integration with the highly innovative concept design product, CONCEPT
- Easy to interface with in-house systems and component libraries for gear and bearing design and for material selection
- Proven capability to substantially reduce product development cycle time while improving the quality and optimization of the finished design
RomaxDESIGNER is a virtual product development and simulation environment for the design, analysis & NVH exploration of the complete transmission - gearboxes, bearings, drivetrains and all components.
Reduce the development-analysis chain
RomaxDESIGNER can significantly reduce the number and length of design cycles by considering all system effects in just one transmission model. From the initial concept stages, component lives are calculated providing a fast and efficient method for system development.
RomaxDESIGNER can eliminate the need to switch between numerous software packages to calculate the different component reactions, greatly reducing time and cost involved in the design loop.
Extremely fast solution times allow many more concepts or detailed designs compared to traditional procedures. In one package, RomaxDESIGNER offers:
- Virtual product development tools
- Gearbox concept design
- Component sizing & selection
- System deflections
- NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)
Design automation and optimisation
- Sensitivity analysis
- Optimisation processes
- Efficiency predictions
- Robust design tools
- Design templates
Integration into the design process
- Interfaces to CAD and CAE tools
- Open data exchange with HTML and XML formats
- Customisation and bespoke module development
System modelling capabilities
- Build custom bearings or select from comprehensive OEM catalogues
- Define custom connections between parts: in all 6 degrees of freedom
- Integrate any type of gear
- Define clutches, belts, chains, torque convertors, synchronisers and variable coupling ratios
- Work with Finite Element components and condense using Romax FE Solver
- Supports parallel, perpendicular and planetary systems
- Model non-90 degree shaft arrangements
- Define parameters for nearly all system attributes and connections
Component analysis capabilities
- Complete component analysis
- Calculate forces, stresses displacements and misalignment
- Design and optimise gear macro- and micro-geometry
- Customise bearings and other materials
- Bearing pre-load tool for pre-load investigation
Dynamics and NVH
- Analyse gear whine behaviour using the same model that you use for durability and rattle analysis
- Confidently and accurately predict gear whine vibrations for manual and automatic transmissions at the design stage before expensive mistakes are made
- Quickly and easily see the effect of design changes on NVH performance
- Troubleshoot problems with existing designs and find solutions in a fraction of the time of traditional methods
- Analyse vibration response and dynamic behaviour at component and full system level
- Identify root causes of transmission noise via mode shape, modal energy, waterfall plots and harmonic response etc
- Perform gear contact analysis for hypoid and bevel gears with interface to ANSol
- Accurately account for misalignments and micro-geometry effects giving you accurate data to make design decisions
Optimisation and robustness studies
- Perform system sensitivity analysis (DoE) and carry out optimisation experiments
- Access all the parameters within the gearbox
- Perform robustness studies and design for six sigma
Romax software is optimised to work with the whole design process. A range of interface options are available to enable your integration into your existing design environment. These enable smooth data hand-over to other software tools and provide co-simulation links.
- FEA interfaces to Nastran, ANSYS, Abaqus, Hypermesh, I-DEAS and RADIOSS
- LDP interface
- ANSol interface
- XML interface
Using this advanced software product, design and optimization processes that previously took hours or even days are now completed in a matter of minutes.
- Comprehensive and integrated whole system analysis
- Simulation of any geared product, including planetary systems and bevel and hypoid gears
- Full bearing analysis capability, including non-linear bearing models and advanced analytical fatigue life prediction capability
- Whole system simulation allows the accurate prediction of individual gear durability through to dynamic issues arising from misalignment, whine and rattle - and optimization of the dynamic performance of the complete drivetrain
- Full scope to investigate and understand the effects of any design parameter on product durability and performance - avoiding excessive requirements for prototype testing
- Applicable for any gear, shaft and bearing system application, from power tools to mining equipment and from complex automotive planetary automatic transmissions to the largest wind turbine gearboxes
Key new features in Version 14.5
- Gears can now be specified in terms of manufacturing tool parameters - allowing optimization to be maximized based on the intended production system
- Incorporates the latest ISO TS16281 standard for bearing life calculation and micro-pitting analysis according to ISO/TR 15144
- Analysis of flexible bearings with integral raceways
- Bolt strength calculation to VDI2230
Microsoft® Windows® Supported Operating Systems (1)
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Yes|
|Windows 7 (64-bit) (2)||Yes|
|XP Professional (32-bit) (3)||Yes|
|XP Professional (64-bit) (2)||Yes|
- The Windows operating system requirements follow the Microsoft Windows lifecycle policy which can be viewed at: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselect
- Supported as a 32-bit application running in the 64-bit
License configuration limitations. Only Safenet hardware-keys are supported.
FE Solver supported as a 64-bit application.
Support included for Intel® EM64T compatible processors.
- Required: Windows XP Professional SP2.
Computer and Software Requirements:
- Minimum: 1GB RAM
- Basic models
- Models including small FE components
- NVH Analysis
- X64 processor with minimum of 6GB
- Very large models
- Multiple large FE components
- Complex models with large duty cycles
- Complex NVH Analysis
- Models that exceed the process size limit of 32 bit architecture
- A certified OpenGL workstation graphics card and driver
- Minimum: 2GHz x86
- Recommended: 2.5Ghz + x86 or x64 based processor
- NVH & Large FEA analysis:
- 2.5Ghz + x64 based processor, 4+ cores
- Intel® Pentium™ (8), Intel® Xeon™ (8), and Intel® Core™
- AMD® Athlon™, AMD® Opteron™, and AMD® Turion™
- 2 button mouse with scroll wheel