Engineering Management Services:
- Business/System structure and strategy
- Programme and Risk management
- Business case development
- Procurement and Manufacturing advice
- Systems Engineering:
- Systems engineering and V-Lifecycle management, Requirements development and acceptance, Capability gap audits, Reliability and supportability, Through-life capability, Technology management
- Functional Safety and Security:
- Independent technical design and process evaluation, Safety management and Safety Case Development, Technical Assurance, Regulatory and Policy advice, Risk assessment and mitigation, Environmental management, Certification and qualification support, standards compliance
- Design and Technology
- E-mobility, Autonomy and Smart Factory solutions
- Concept design and innovation, Detailed design and evaluation, Electronics and Control System design, Materials and Technology assessment, Reliability/Life prediction, Safety and Security
- Structural integrity, Fluid dynamics and heat transfer, Advanced CFD and FEA, materials science, Noise and Vibration (NVH), Thermal management
- Modelling and Simulation
- Model-Based Design, Virtual Verification, Software Toolchain Qualification, Design optimisation tools, Process automation, Analysis of complex systems and datasets, System simulation, Electronics modelling, Bespoke application software, System reliability, availability, maintainability and safety modelling, cost modelling
Tier 1 Customer required a scalable electrified powertrain solution to support their modular drivetrain platform approach.
Romax conducted a powertrain architecture study which rapidly rationalised several thousand technical options to a handful of optimised solutions which delivered a well-balanced price-performance point. This scalable and modular architecture was successfully developed into detailed design and production, demonstrating cost, weight, NVH and efficiency benefits over previously available solutions.
Business Case Development
Customer, reviewing the viability for their return on investment, needed a fully costed investment bill of materials and credible start-up business case.
Romax conducted a sourcing study with make vs. buy in EU, UK and China regions to derive a fully costed model for the complete electric drive unit. We worked with production and assembly partners to derive production and integration time, labour, tooling and facility requirements for all in-house operations and thus provided a full budget requirement for capital equipment.
Customer, reviewing their technology landscape for electrification, needed an independent full assessment of Hybrid drive market potential and routes to market before committing to major investment
Romax a conducted a comprehensive pre-study to advise the Customer and provide a basis for their strategic decision making. Rationale for a portfolio approach was developed, considering IP opportunities, competitive landscape.
Customer, entering the electrification market with a new product range, required engineering design and development support.
Romax designed an electric powertrain for a modular drivetrain, from architecture first principles with high-volume production in mind from the outset e.g. straight to casting.
Using the Romax Nexus toolset eliminated the proof-of-concept mule hardware development phase, significantly reducing project time and costs.
Tier 1 Customer started their electrification journey with a powertrain concept intending to support a modular platform for their heavy duty commercial battery electric drivetrain solution.
Having completed a holistic platform study to span all customer applications and duty cycles, Romax delivered a highly integrated multispeed transmission, traction motor and electro-hydraulic shift actuation system, with Power Electronics and Transmission Control Unit hardware and application software, prepared with an ASIL-C ISO26262 compliant safety case in anticipation for a fleet trial.
Romax supplied the integrated hardware and managed the system integration and physical verification testing, delivering a right-first-time solution proven via our virtual verification capability. Our solution delivered >10% range increase over the drive cycle, at a 1/3 less mass, 1/3 less volume and a 1/3 of the cost of the preceding powertrain concept.
OEM Customer required development of new luxury passenger car Battery Electric Vehicle powertrain and control system for Asia-pacific market.
Romax developed a highly integrated bespoke multispeed transmission, high speed traction motor, with full-electric park-lock and shift actuation solution meeting the customer’s demanding shift quality targets and future requirements, delivering application ready integrated power electronics hardware and transmission control unit. Romax supported the OEM through the entire design lifecycle including procurement, manufacturing and testing.
Customer, had a proven track record in building industrial gearboxes and were looking to expand their portfolio with supplying hardware for wind turbines.
Having secured an order with a turbine supplier they employed Romax Design Team to provide a complete solution and support the manufacturing and testing stages to achieve GL A-DA certification.
At each stage in the process, Romax engineers provided knowledge transfer so that the customer could develop in-house skills for designing their own products.
Romax consultancy have supplied WTG solutions with traditional layouts and others of high technical challenging designs to achieve compact, light-weight designs.