A core sector for Romax, the automotive industry is a fast-paced environment in terms of global demand and challenging efficiency targets. Our 30+ years of expertise in driveline engineering and software can help you to develop next-generation technological advances including electric and hybrid drive systems.
Our state-of-the-art multi-physics solutions include
- Rapid and intuitive exploration of drivetrain ideas to enhance the early product development process
- Trusted structural simulation and optimisation for the design of durable and robust electro-mechanical drive systems
- Full system NVH simulation from gear and electric machine design through to vehicle sound quality
- Advanced simulation of rolling element bearings for bearing designers and application engineers
- Electro-mechanical analysis tool for electrical machine designers
- A global efficiency prediction tool for drivetrains and transmissions
- Fast, accurate generation of multibody models, with an optimal balance of accuracy and complexity
We support and conduct engineering projects across the supply chain and at any stage in the design cycle:
- Electro-mechanical concept design and trade-off studies
- System thermal analysis and efficiency optimisation
- Noise and vibration optimisation
- Detailed design and manufacturing drawings
- Prototype manufacture
- Prototype testing
- Problem investigation and root cause analysis
- Strategic consulting
Romax also offers full turnkey product development solutions through our Applied Solutions Design Services.
- We deliver drivetrain design and development for global customers across a range of industries, including automotive, emobility, aerospace and renewables.
- Our solutions provide full lifecycle development, from concept to deployment, working by best practice and with a proven track record to deliver for the customer.
- Our automotive solutions cover drivetrain, electric motors, lubrication systems, actuators, power electronics, controls, functional safety and battery management. We offer continued support even after the project has been delivered, and we share innovation and knowledge for process improvement and to save time and cost.
- The complete suite of Romax and MSC CAE solutions enables the evaluation of designs at an early stage for NVH, efficiency and durability.
- We have in-depth industry know-how gained through supporting global suppliers and vehicle manufacturers with their transmissions, electric drive units and dedicated hybrid system developments. We know the future trends and technologies to include in our concept designs.
- We have the tools and processes for trade-off studies for inverter technology selection, motor technology selection, motor layout, motor torque-speed curve, gearbox layout and number of gearbox ratios to find the optimum combination of technologies for a specific application.
- Our systems engineering approach ensures we develop the optimum logical as well as physical architecture, incorporating functional safety demands.
- Our decades of practical experience in manufacturing engineering who ensure cost-effective manufacturing and assembly is at the heart of our concepts.
- Throughout our history we have supported our customers with design and development services, for transmission and electric drive unit designs across passenger car, high performance car and commercial vehicle sectors.
- For detailed simulation and virtual product sign-off, our software tools are used throughout the development phase for complete system optimization for mass, efficiency and NVH performance, whilst analysing manufacturing process choice and tolerances to drive down cost-to-manufacture.
- Our seamless collaboration capabilities across CAD, Multibody Dynamics (MBD) and CAE tools reduce errors and time to market. Romax designers create models and drawings and can work within customer’s selected CAD and PLM system as required.
- Romax’s supply prototype and low volume production. Recent projects include complete electric drive units with multi-speed automatic gearboxes, dedicated hybrid gearboxes and commercial vehicle gearboxes. We complete system verification and validation testing where required.
- We have 30 years of track record in supporting established OEMs, start-up EV companies and first-tier suppliers with our gearbox and motor NVH expertise.
- With the high motor speeds that occur in electric drive systems, there is a greater challenge in understanding and eliminating sources of noise and reducing transfer paths.
- Understanding and eliminating sources of modulation in planetary gear trains is a particular strength, and our analysis has led to planetary gear system redesigns after troubleshooting in production programs.
- Utilizing the power of the Romax Spectrum solution paired with Actran Acoustics, we can both minimize the source excitation from drivetrains and predict the transfer path completely to the driver’s ear.
- Combining advanced capabilities with interfaces to the rest of your CAE eco-system, we enable a “Right First Time” CAE-led solution for NVH design.
Example Customer Applications
Hybrid Passenger Car Rear Axle Electric Drive Unit
Customer entering electrification market with a new product range, required engineering design support for a rear axle drive unit for hybrid passenger car applications.
- Romax provided strategic market study consulting to support their product decision making
- A route to production with minimal prototype iterations was required due to window of opportunity for product
- Customer was supported with detailed design for series manufacture from A-prototype, e.g. die-cast-ready housing design, NVH optimisation, DFMEA, identification of critical dimensions
- Romax provided capability and knowledge transfer to enable customer to move into growing market
Customer was able to enter into eMobility market with needed technical and market knowledge.
BEV Bespoke Electronics Hardware and Control Software
BEV passenger car development of new electrified powertrain and control system for luxury SUV market.
- Romax developed a bespoke multispeed gearbox, high speed traction motor, electric park lock and electric shift actuation solution, meeting the customer’s demanding requirements
- Delivered an Application Ready integrated TCU with BLDG drives and white-box Application Software
- Supported customer through the entire lifecycle from requirements capture to product delivery within 12 months
- Provided full transfer of detailed design to customer
Right 1st Time design of ePowertrain in 12 months and support through to the production.
12-35T Heavy Duty Bus/Truck Platform
Customer wanted to start their electrification journey with a clean sheet of paper intending to design a modular platform for their electric drivetrain solution to replace legacy diesel solutions.
Romax developed a bespoke multispeed gearbox, integrated traction motor-inverter, shift actuation and transmission control unit — demonstrating an ISO 26262 compliant safety case ready for fleet trials. Delivered design, build, and test of 2 rounds of prototypes; initial prototype and a further integrated prototype.
Customer achieved 10% more efficient solution than previous direct drive powertrain including 1/3 mass reduction, 1/3 size reduction and 1/3 unit production cost reduction.
BEV Passenger Car – NVH Analysis of eMachine
Customer required to resolve eMachine whine issue at high speeds.
- Romax calculated NVH response of customers existing eDrivetrain, the results were compared to NVH measurements of the physical system and showed strong correlation with test results
- The source of noise (combination of radial forces and torque ripple) and transfer path (housing and end covers) were accurately identified
- Electromagnetic optimisation was carried out to minimise excitation levels at the operating points
- Structural optimisation was carried out to modify the stiffness matrix of housing components
The updated models showed a significant reduction in radiated sound power and pressure, customer verified via powertrain testing.
Dedicated Hybrid Transmission
Eliminate need for main clutch and synchronisers.
- Romax worked with a major automotive supplier to develop a 4-speed Dedicated Hybrid Transmission with synchro-less shifting that eliminates the need for the main clutch
- Romax completed the design of the gearbox from stick diagram concept to detailed drawings
- Romax worked with our specialist local supply chain to deliver high quality hardware for test and development
- Romax supported testing and development of the shift control system
- The gearbox was displayed and implemented in a demonstrator car at CTI Berlin 2019
The layout permits parallel hybrid driving, pure electric drive or pure ICE drive and uses a second electric machine to assist with engine speed matching for the gear shift.
BEV Passenger Car – eMachine Efficiency Optimisation
Customer required to maximise drive cycle efficiency (WLTP) to remain competitive in segment but had little in-house expertise and capability.
- Romax evaluated different motor topologies prior to detailed optimisation
- Provided full knowledge and capability transfer to customer
- Achieved approximately 1% improvement in drive cycle efficiency over baseline with eMachine changes alone
- Achieved more than 2% improvement in efficiency in highway driving conditions
“As a true pioneering company, Arrival is very much focussing on technology
development. We are looking to different ways, new ways, to reinvent electrical
propulsion technology as we know it. One of the major enablers, on this effort,
is the cooperation with Romax and integration of Romax software to our
development. [Romax software] gives us the ability to quantify tradeoffs and
iterate through design ideas with speed and precision.“
“Romax software tools have already led to significant quality improvements. Ford will continue to work with Romax to further define and advance its capabilities.”