Bearing specialists require independent tools which provide cutting-edge rolling element bearing analysis. These tools will provide them with insight required to design and select bearings for optimum performance and durability, as part of a whole system model.
Romax Spin provides this insight, through optimised contact algorithms that offer speed and accuracy, and integrates with the Romax product family, enabling greater collaboration within organisations and with suppliers.
Founded on 30 years of bearing expertise, and with a fantastic network of strong partners within the bearing industry, Romax Technology are the obvious choice for bearing suppliers and experts. That’s why the world’s top six bearing manufacturers use our software and services.
What’s new in Romax 2022?
- Bearing Dynamics Desktop Application and Support for Cylindrical Roller Bearings: our Bearing Dynamics capability is now available as a desktop application, for analysis of failure modes not considered by the standard methods, with an updated UI and support for new bearing types.
- 2D Gearbox Modelling Worksheet: a new system-level worksheet with drag-and-drop tools, allowing intuitive, fast modelling which is easy-to-use, even for beginners and non-experts.
- Parametric Study and Batch Running Improvements: new actions, targets and results available for gears, bearings and to allow genetic algorithms to be used for full gearbox optimisations. This includes comprehensive targets and results of raw and actual values of viscosity ratio and contamination factor, useful for detailed analysis of the influence of lubricant additives in different load cases in an automated way.
- Reporting of bearing passing frequencies and orders: The passing frequencies found in rolling bearings are commonly used to identify the source of defects. Rolling bearing passing frequencies and orders are now reported in the Bearing Results worksheet.
- JMAG-Express Online Integration: JMAG-Express Online can now be opened from within the Romax environment, so users can generate an electric machine design and import the machine geometry directly into the Romax model as part of an early-stage structural analysis.
Advanced, integrated analysis of rolling element bearings to give unrivalled insight into bearing performance.
- Fast parametric modelling of the system and the bearing internal geometry for easy design space exploration
- Flexible model fidelity from single bearing to complex systems with flexible bearing rings and other structures
- Enhanced bearing contact analysis featuring a coupled strip model accurately capturing roller edge stresses, end effects, material yield, rib contact, and truncation
- Time domain bearing skidding analysis capability
Easily and quickly build a parametric model of any electro-mechanical system and perform bearing selection and application optimisation with confidence.
- Accurately model the loading, mounting and thermal conditions and evaluate system loads, deflections, misalignments
- Quickly and accurately predict element and raceway load and stress distribution, rib contact, edge stress, and contact truncation
- Evaluate optimum preload/clearance settings and how they are affected by thermal and structural conditions
- Perform ISO 281 and ISO/TS 16281 ratings, augmented by the enhanced bearing contact model
- Import and export CAD geometry, mesh and connect finite element components and produce graphics and reports
Romax Spin works seamlessly across the Romax product family and integrates into your process.
- Exchange models with your suppliers and customers in various formats including REXS
- Create, share, and use proprietary bearing databases protecting the IP of the creator
- Access the same shared bearing database within your organisation
- Automate analysis tasks and integrate them with third party applications through the Batch Running capability
- Obtain results directly from SKF’s cloud calculation service without leaving Romax Spin
Feature Highlight: Romax Bearing Dynamics
With the rise of electric vehicles, bearings are operating under increasingly high speeds. Combined with low load conditions, this can lead to a dynamic phenomenon known as bearing skidding. In certain circumstances, bearing skidding can generate excessive frictional heat and high surface shear stress, and subsequently result in efficiency issues or premature bearing failure.
Romax’s Bearing Dynamics application uses a novel approach based on transient time-domain analysis to predict the occurrence of skidding in electric-vehicle bearings in a matter of minutes. The model considers structural, thermal and fluid domains, including the influence of centrifugal and gyroscopic effects on rolling- element dynamics, heat generated by the lubricant and associated temperature rise, and rheology and traction behaviour of the lubricating oil.
This application helps design engineers and bearing analysts to avoid damaging failures by designing more reliable bearings and selecting better lubricants, through unique insight of the underlying skidding mechanism and bearing dynamics.
“For us, what’s most important is that we can support our customers with correct bearing life calculations in order to prevent future bearing failures and claims. Our investment in the software is well worth the huge costs at risk with such issues. [Romax Software] gives us the confidence to design bearings which we know will perform to our high standards of quality. We envisage we will use it for many years to come.”
“[Romax software] allows us to meet the needs of our customers quickly, effectively, and professionally.
Our customers are happy when they can rely on us to design customized bearings for a particular application, optimize existing designs, and suggest effective solutions. The most important thing for us is that we can trust the results that [Romax Software] gives us, which means we can confidently implement geometric optimizations and design a product suitable for its application.”
“Romax has a strong bearing simulation capacity. We have developed a long-term collaboration with Romax and have significantly benefited from our communication with them, especially in some special fields with special development requirements, such as large bearings, high speed bearings and journal bearings. As a very professional bearing development software, [Romax Software] is an important tool in our design and development process”
Watch a demo video
What you’ll learn:
- How Romax Spin enables accurate prediction of bearing stiffness, the loads and misalignments they experience.
- How to predict bearing life and test whether bearings will survive the required duty cycle
- How to use parametric studies and batch running to optimise bearing designs
- How Spin can interface to other Romax and third party tools
Please complete all the fields below.
Please complete all the fields below.