What’s new in Romax 2021?
The 2021 Romax release sees new features across the simulation portfolio, with a particular focus on enabling our customers to democratize advanced technologies and to work in more collaborative ways. The key new features in Romax Concept are:
- Import Electric Machines from JMAG-Express. Combine the power of Romax Concept, a fast simulation tool for early stage development of the complete electric powertrain, with JMAG-Express, a concept-level online parametric design tool for motor electromagnetic performance, to understand motor and electric powertrain efficiency right from the start. This provides a fast, easy workflow at the concept and sizing development stage when design iterations need to be at their most efficient.
- Efficiency Maps and Drive Cycle Analysis with an Electric Machine Drive System. Easily assess the efficiency and performance of different EV powertrain design concepts whilst considering the most important tradeoffs (cost, weight and performance) to select the optimum motor/transmission combination.
- For information on further small enhancements to Concept and on improvements to other products, please get in touch with your Romax representative.
Feature Highlight: Electric Machine Capability
Romax Concept allows you to model an electric machine with accurate packaging dimensions including a rotor, a stator with end-windings, housing and rotor shaft. The electric machine component can also be imported from a Motor-CAD or JMAG-Express native file.
Capture and analyse the performance of the whole electromechanical system at the concept stage. Features:
- Visualisation and packaging checks
- Motor selection and sizing, including evaluation of vehicle performance and efficiency prediction
- Bearing selection and evaluation of different motor bearing arrangements
- Gear and motor excitation orders on the same plot for early NVH analysis
- Materials’ cost and weight
“CONCEPT software is the starting point of the whole product [development].”
“It helps decrease development time and helps in minimising design failure. Through a smaller development cycle we can make products more robust at an earlier stage – using Romax enables us to overcome limitations we might face, as well as meeting Right First Time design requirements.”
“Using CONCEPT is perfect for testing multiple gearbox, transmission and driveline designs at an early stage of the development because you get a prediction of efficiency and even cost data right from the start – it’s hugely beneficial to get an idea of costs at such an early stage of development. CONCEPT enables us to make informed engineering decisions over which one design is the best for a particular project.”