Romax Energy is a global efficiency prediction tool for electro-mechanical transmissions. Encompassing advanced tribological models and backed-up by continuous internal R&D efforts, Romax Energy allows users to calculate power losses, fuel consumption and emissions for a given drive cycle, and to investigate the impact of different bearing and gear designs on system efficiency. It also offers a unique capability of selecting the optimum oil and investigating the effect of the oil additive pack for a given design.
In addition, with a democratised interface to Particleworks, people for the first time can do CFD analysis in the design stage to increase quality, optimise for sustainability, and reduce time to market!
Numerous customer projects have proven that Romax’s efficiency simulation methods and tools can improve powertrain efficiency and reduce fuel consumption and emissions. Romax Energy works across the Romax family of products, enabling collaboration across multi-disciplinary engineering functions.
What’s New in Romax 2022.1?
- Support for Particleworks – updated to versions 7.1 and later.
- Improvements to 2D Worksheet – including generation of 2D sections for FE shafts and casings, modelling bevel gear sets with multiple meshes, and new component tools.
- Undo has been added – to the 2D Worksheet and the Shaft Worksheet.
- Advanced loaded tooth contact analysis model for cylindrical gears – available for micro-geometry analysis.
- Usability enhancements to bearing results – including various reports and customised reporting.
Predict Power Losses
How can I create a friction map for my transmission design quickly and effortlessly?
How can I minimise the power loss from my transmission and meet efficiency targets?
- Romax Energy offers comprehensive power loss prediction models for calculation of both load-dependent and load-independent losses.
- Conduct advanced efficiency analysis using industry-leading proprietary loss models that account for detailed bearing, gear and lubricant parameters
- Create system efficiency maps and calculate energy losses, equivalent fuel consumption and CO2 emissions for drive cycles as well as duty cycles
- Modify fuel properties for accurate calculation of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions
- Analyse losses at a component level with speed/torque sweep maps and reports to find the most lossy components and redesign the system to optimise for efficiency
How do I ensure optimal performance for my transmission design? What gear and bearing design should I choose?
How can I select the best oil for my transmission design and optimise its efficiency?
- System optimisation:
– Parametric studies to investigate the impact of changing various operational parameters (e.g. torque, speed, temperature, lubricant level) on the system’s efficiency performance
- Analysis methods:
– Use Romax duty cycles for fast and convenient analysis
– Use real-life drive cycle data for analysis that is relevant and appropriate for the actual operating conditions of the transmission
- Effect of oil additive pack and lubricant properties:
– Select from a built-in lubricant database, customise lubricants, or create your own
– Specify individual component lubricant properties
– Investigate the effect of base oil and oil additive pack on the power losses using our proprietary method based on FVA345 methodology
Early stage CFD
How can I reduce test failures due to bearings overheating or inadequate lubrication?
How do I minimise churning loss while ensuring proper lubrication for the system?
The Romax-Particleworks interface promotes CAE-led design and enables informed engineering decisions to be made earlier, shortening development timescales and reducing the need for testing:
- Export a fully valid model from Romax that will run on Particleworks with little CFD expertise required, using the default parameters set through best practises.
- Study variations of different parameters such as fill height, temperature and speed and the resulting impact on fluid distribution and churning loss
- Understand system lubrication performance under extreme conditions (hill starts, cornering, etc.)
- Obtain more accurate, high-fidelity churning loss for critical operating conditions (e.g. in a drive cycle) to understand and improve system efficiency.
- Use results to redesign the system to ensure proper lubrication while minimising churning loss
“To meet increasing customer expectation and faster development cycles, GKN Driveline has to get ‘right first time’ to the required product performance, and Romax helps us achieve that.”
“We used [Romax Software] within the development process for a new transmission system for electric range-extended vehicles. [Romax Software] helped us to create simulations and enable efficiency analysis. Efficiency maps of transmissions can be very hard to calculate, so we needed [Romax Software] to provide this information.”
“Deliverables for the period under analysis were received on time and they are all at a high level of quality and clarity. The expected outcomes will provide significant innovation in the domain of EVs and related fully-integrated complex systems and more generally to the automotive community.”
Watch a demo video
What you’ll learn:
- How Romax Energy allows you to predict electro-mechanical transmission efficiency, and consider the effect of oil additive pack and lubricant properties
- How to generate efficiency maps and predict energy losses
- How to perform drive cycle analysis
Please complete all the fields below.
Please complete all the fields below.